Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Contraction Action!

Over the last three days I have not been feeling like myself, mainly complaining of stomach/abdominal pain and discomfort. I have had trouble eating and keeping the food down and just have generally not felt well. Today at work I got a break from the kids and just wanted to lay down for a bit I was so uncomfortable. So, I went to my car and called my doctor. She told me to go into the maternity triage at the hospital. I was thinking of toughing out the last 2 hours of the half day, but the nurse was like, "You are laying down in your car; you need to go now." 

Lou came home from work about an hour into his work day and drove me over. I'm glad he went. I think his presence kept me from being scared or worried. They hooked me up to the monitors and baby was doing just fine, but I was having contractions every three to five minutes. I was surprised to hear that. I thought contractions were going to be way more painful. They were concerned I may have been in pre-term labor but found I was not dialated and had not begun to secrete a hormone that triggers labor. They also did an extensive ultrasound of my abdomen- which I have to mention is now right under my ribcage. Everything is squished which is normal for being 33 weeks pregnant but especially my right kidney. However, they told us not to worry and sent us home.

Brendan has been a little acrobat in my belly today, including while typing this post. The nurse joked that it was like he was jumping rope in my uterus. I don't mind- I like knowing he's okay and cruising around in there. Now that I am paying more attention, I have noticed more Braxton Hicks contractions since I have been home from the hospital. I'm glad my body is practicing for the big event, but Brendan better stay in there 'til he is full term!  

No comments: