Monday, June 22, 2009

Baby Language

Never say never. A few days ago I said I wouldn't use the bathroom while nursing. Well, I've got good using one hand to nurse and one hand to do other tasks and I did it- more than once now! I surprised myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

While pregnant my friend Megan gave me a DVD to watch called Dunston's baby language. Lou and I watched it again and have been successful in listening to Brendan's cries to figure out what he needs. The idea is that babies use words to communicate. Neh means feed me, Eh means burp me, and Owh means help me to fall asleep. It is pretty empowering to be able to understand his needs.

Yesterday was his first doctor's appointment. He got a clean bill of health, however he was still losing weight and was 8 pounds, 2 ounces. We have to return tomorrow to follow up and see if he starts to regain his weight. Dr. Lichtsinn was so kind and helpful. My girlfriend Tina and my OB recommended her and I just really like her. She answered my whole list of questions and
gave us sound advise. She told me to slow myself down and rest more and reminded Lou to help me. She also told me to start to get him on a feeding schedule nursing every 2 to 3 hours. No more demand/cluster feeding for Brendan. She told me after a while there is no more milk and even though he is sucking nothing would be coming out. This was good info because I was letting him stay on for a half hour or more.

Although it is a lot of work- definitely a full time job- I absolutely love being a Mommy and Lou loves being a Daddy. Brendan seems to be a very mild mannered and calm baby. He cries pretty infrequently and eats and sleeps well. He likes to pee on his walls and carpeting while being changed and also likes to be held. He has christened his room once while Mommy changed him and twice while his Daddy has changed him. We are truly blessed to have him in our lives!

No comments: